27 March, 2010

City Slicker

So yesterday I went for a little hike looking for photos. I was four miles away from home, by myself with no cell coverage in the middle of nowhere. Being out there was nice, it was very good weather, I saw some pretty awesome flowers and this really cool butterfly.

While I was reading the sign, deciding whether or not to go up the Mad River Trail, a man came down from the trail and scared the crap out of me. I realized then that I am truly a city girl at heart. This man was nice enough, explained how he loved the geography of the area and was on his way home. He made me nervous and I was relieved when he went on his way.

I realized while walking a little way on the trail that had I been by myself in “a bad a neighborhood,” and the same man had come up to me, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least. I know how to carry myself in the city. I know how to walk and who to approach and even how to deal with things like whistles and cat calls. But this nice, friendly man in the middle of nowhere gave me the creeps.

It makes me realize how much of a city slicker I really am, even if I am living 40 minutes from a city. And it's a small city at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment