05 March, 2010

Population Explosion

Is it any wonder the world is overpopulated?

I know I am of an age where my friends are beginning to procreate. (I won't start on how much I hate the phrase "start a family.") But seriously, without looking I can think of five of my friends just on Facebook who announced they were pregnant in the last six weeks. And I only have 170 Facebook friends.

Five in the last six weeks! That isn't counting the several women who were already pregnant, the at least seven who have had babies in the last few months, any men whose significant other may be pregnant, or any of the people I know who aren't on Facebook. It floors me.

And maybe part of the reason I have a hard time with it is that I have absolutely no desire to procreate myself. Yes, I am 23 female and alive. Shocking I know.

And I really hate it when people tell me that I am still young so I couldn't possibly know if I want children or not, or when they flat out tell me I will change my mind when I get older. Would anyone of those people tell one of my pregnant friends she might change her mind when she gets a little older? Or that she is too young to know if she wants kids or not? Of course they wouldn't! Because everyone is supposed to want children. In fact, I bet if I said I wanted children no one would tell me I am too young or that I would change my mind. I would bet money.

No comments:

Post a Comment