07 March, 2010

The Maker of Lists

I am a maker of lists. Lists make life easier, and frankly, I have fun making them. I used to think this made me weird, now I don't care. My life is too much easier with them for me to over think it.

I make grocery lists specific to store and sale price, I make to-do lists almost every day, and I get so much more done when I do than when I just wing it. I make lists of books I want to read, movies I want to see and music I want to download.

But I am most in my list making element whenever we go on a trip, I make a list of things I need to pack. Then I make a list of stuff we need to do before we leave the house. And I always make a list of the things we need pack in the morning after we use them, like toothbrushes and such.

But this has not always been the case. Les claimed his mother used to make lists before every family vacation and would become so frantic over them it made getting ready for trips miserable. So when we first got together I let him have his way and just winged it when ever we went somewhere. I shouldn't have.

I started making lists like this on the first trip after we took after we got married. Not including our honeymoon. In fact it is one of our favorite stories now that it is in the past and we are not miserable.

On the morning after our wedding we got up at 4 a.m. (after going to bed around midnight) and left for Albuquerque. At around 6:30 we stopped in Moab for breakfast at Denny's. Around 7:15 we were done eating and Les went up to the counter to pay. It was at this point we realized he did not have his wallet. So we turned around and went back to Price. We found his wallet and figured since we were in town on a work day we might as well stop and deposit all the checks we had received as wedding gifts. So around 10 a.m. after finding everything and an involved conversation with Bank Aunt we hit the road again.

We did not arrive in Albuquerque until almost 11p.m.! We went straight to bed so it wasn't until the next morning that we realized we had forgotten the bag with all of our toiletries in it. So we spent the second day of our honeymoon attempting to locate a drug store and buying soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc...

So now I make lists. And every time we go on a trip the first thing on every list I make is WALLET!

No comments:

Post a Comment